Cuba Memorial Hospital traces its origins to The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital that opened its doors in Cuba on February 1, 1923. The building of a hospital in Cuba was the idea of Robert H. Bartlett, who was instrumental in securing the funding for its construction. In his initial report, Bartlett states that Mr. and Mrs. H.W. Evans were appointed as the hospital's superintendent and matron.
In addition to the popular subscriptions by local community members, the Cuba Memorial Building Corporation was formed and bonds were issued to raise the $30,000 needed to build the facility. The initial directors were R.H. Bartlett, Robert Findlay, Peter J. Keenan, Ralph M. Wheeler, Rachel Williams, Mabel Whipple, Ida P. Ackerly, Dr. J.C. Young, Sidney A. Hixon, Frank H. Setchel and Harry E. Keller.
During the first 12 months of operations, the hospital admitted a total of 182 patients, and recorded 41 births and 25 deaths. The high incidence of deaths was due, in part, to several severely burned patients who were admitted after the fire at the County House in Angelica and died soon after. In addition, 26 major and 37 minor operations were performed during the first year. The highest census of patients at one time was 14.
In 1925, the Corporation of Cuba Memorial Hospital, Inc. was formed and it remains today as the ruling body. The original capacity of the hospital was 18 beds and 8 cribs. In 1942, the kitchen, nurses' dining room and restroom were removed to the basement in order to put the entire maternity service on the first floor and segregate it from the other services.
In 1997, Cuba Memorial Hospital was designated a Critical Access Hospital. Today, Cuba Memorial Hospital is equipped to provide radiology, laboratory, emergency, rehabilitation and dental services as well as admitting the acutely ill to the 20 bed inpatient unit. Long term care patients are admitted to a 61 bed skilled nursing facility.